This talk is part of the ‘Building Accessibility’ series. The one hour talk discusses the need to provide a luminance contrast between architectural features in premises.
The presentation also provides an overview of the free Luminance Contrast Assessment Tool (LCAT) developed by Access Central (part of the Egress Group). The LCAT is available from https://luminancecontrast.net.au/
Suitable for anyone responsible for specifying architectural products, certifying designs or checking compliance.
Presented by Lee Wilson, a disability access and egress consultant in Melbourne. In early 2018 he was appointed as a volunteer Subject Matter Expert (Disability Access) by the Australian Building Codes Board. Lee has been actively campaigning for a universal design approach to egress for several years and published numerous articles, a guidebook and a white paper on universal design and egress concepts.
The workshop covers the following topics:
- Disability awareness
- What is luminance contrast?
- Other definitions, such as LRV (Luminance Reflective Value)
- Why we need luminance contrast
- Mandatory requirements in the BCA and Premises Standards
- AS 1428.1 (2009) and AS/NZS 1428.4.1 (2009) luminance contrast references
- Testing methods and equipment
- Best practice recommendations
- Reducing risks on projects
- Getting suppliers to provide LRV information
- LRV test certificates
- Examples and case studies
- The Luminance Contrast Assessment Tool (LCAT)
- Use of the LCAT
- LRV Testing
- Comparing two LRVs
- Comparing Multiple LRVs
- An additional 15 minutes for questions
Who should attend?
This talk is suitable for people of all backgrounds and professions working in the construction and property management. It is designed as an entry-level introduction to the concept of luminance contrast and how to comply with the minimum prescriptive requirements of the Building Code and the Premises Standards under the DDA. Additionally, best-practice concepts will be presented. The use of the free Luminance Contrast Assessment Tool will also be demonstrated.